Forget botox for beautiful skin and beautiful hair this winter, we swear by bone broth. This thousand-virtues detox bone broth stands out as an all-natural health and beauty remedy. It is not for nothing that this is a recipe used in Chinese medicine for more than 2,500 years. Long popular on the other side of the Atlantic where they are offered in trendy cafes, these beauty elixirs have everything to seduce French men and women looking to make the most of their collagen and protein intake.
Bone Broth: What If It Was The Best Way To Boost Our Collagen?
Avoided by vegetarians and vegans, bone broth is made from chicken and beef carcasses and bones that have been cooked for several hours with vegetables and herbs (calculate between twelve and forty-eight hours). But this is what makes them true collagen concentrates. Used in the cosmetic industry for decades, this naturally-derived protein acts as an anti-aging ally and affects skin elasticity, skin hydration and joint flexibility.
Specifically, a serving of approximately 250 ml of bone broth can contain up to 10 g of collagen, while a capsule of the supplement only contains 0.5-4 g. This is also why bone broths are considered a great alternative to botox, as they help tighten the skin and improve its elasticity. They are also involved in repairing the hair fiber by covering the cuticle (the outer layer of the hair) and providing hydration. Which helps limit hair loss and activates its regeneration.
And as if that weren’t enough, bone broths are also full of vitamins, calcium and glycine, an amino acid with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and digestive properties. Therefore, they help to detoxify the liver, strengthen the immune system and improve the quality of sleep.
Therefore, we especially appreciate its consumption in winter to compensate for the slight decrease in nutrition. If it is possible to choose ready-to-eat broth courses, there are also many recipes for making them at home.
How to make homemade bone broth?
We especially remember this recipe found on the Sauvonsnotrepeau site, which is relatively easy to make:
To make chicken bone broth you will need:
- chicken carcass
- 2 carrots
- 2 leeks
- 2 tablespoons of organic vinegar or a glass of white wine
- 1 onion, 2 cloves, 3 garlic cloves
- Parsley, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf…
- Turmeric, ginger, nutmeg
- Sea salt, pepper
- Place the carcass in a very large casserole dish
- Cover with plenty of cold water
- Boil for 15 minutes on high heat
- Pour the broth, lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours
- The broth should be colored and clear
- Add raw vegetables cut into large pieces
- Add 2 tablespoons of organic cider vinegar (the acidity of the vinegar removes minerals from the bones)
- Cover and simmer on very low heat for 2 hours or longer
- Add the herbs and roots 1 hour before the end of cooking
- Turn off the heat, remove and discard any leftover vegetables and herbs
- Strain the broth
- Salt, pepper, the more your broth gelatinizes as it cools, the more collagen it means.